TLSN is Taking Applications for a General Manager
TLSN is a consortium of 41 Rural Telecommunications Carriers in Texas. Our Member Owners have been providing quality services to rural Texas customers for 50 to 100 years. TLSN was established in 1998 to coordinate the completion of the Member owned statewide fiber optic network. TLSN works with its 41 Member Companies making them the primary focus as noted by our motto “Member Owned, Member Focused, Member Driven”. TLSN’s main office is currently located at 107 Meadowlakes Dr., Marble Falls, Texas, with employees located throughout the state. Our ideal candidate is one who values and benefits from social networking inside and outside of the industry. The GM will have comprehensive financial and operational responsibilities and will report directly to the Board of Directors.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of telecommunications company operations, technology, and equipment.
• Experience in formulating policy as well as developing and implementing new strategies and procedures in a team environment.
• Skill in oral/written communication, presentations, and public speaking.
• Skill in reading and understanding financial reports, industry regulations, and proposed legislation.
What this Position Offers You:
• An opportunity to lead an organization that believes in seizing new market opportunities and providing service to customers on a state-of-the-art Fiber Optic network.
• An attractive compensation and benefits package.
See full job description below. Please email resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Texas Lone Star Network (TLSN) Job Description
Job Title: General Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: TSLN Board of Managers
General: This position reports to the Texas Lone Star Network (TLSN) Board of Managers and is delegated the responsibilities for managing and directing the activities of TLSN as defined in Article 6 of its Regulations. The General Manager has comprehensive responsibility and authority to direct the day-to-day operation of TLSN, which would include maintenance, network management, provisioning, customer care, sales, revenue distribution, and management of staff. All efforts and actions must be pursuant to and follow the strategy, direction, policies, and goals adopted by the Board of Managers and Article 6 of the TLSN Regulations.
The General Manager is responsible for holding the organization to a very high professional standard and ensuring stakeholder satisfaction with TLSN. This position requires frequent professional contact and the establishment and maintenance of positive professional relationships with board members, member companies, prospective member companies, client companies, customers, employees, vendors, association staffs, legislative representatives, community leaders, and the general public.
Overall Job Duties:
• Develops an annual profit/loss forecast for revenues and expenses for TLSN and presents to the Board for revisions and ultimate approval;
• Develops long range (3-5 year) financial projections;
• Manages expenses and tracks revenues for monthly review with Board;
• Continually looks for business opportunities to increase revenues and reduce expenses;
• Develops and administers the TLSN Salary Plan;
• Ensures Revenue Distributions to members are in compliance with established guidelines. Ensures disputes are resolved in a fair and equitable manner;
• Provides direct assistance on billing disputes with “off-net” vendors.
• Provides both short term and long range direction to TLSN staff on maintenance, provisioning, and customer care issues;
• Works with member segment providers to ensure network standards are compatible with market standards;
• Serves as point of escalation with vendor “off-net” providers to ensure their networks are in compliance with TLSN customer standards;
• Works with network segment providers for network improvements;
• Continually looks for ways to both improve and/or expand the TLSN Network footprint in Texas;
• Negotiates with other vendors for interconnect relationships to utilize TLSN networks for the Texas portion of interstate circuits.
Marketing and Business Development
• Direct the Sales activities associated with existing TLSN products;
• Develop and maintain relationships with TLSN customers;
• Establish processes to stay current on market prices and work with segment providers to keep TLSN pricing competitive;
• Develop and administer TLSN Sales Plan;
• Develop business case models on potential new products to evaluate potential application and profitability for TLSN and TLSN members;
• Stay current on new products and technologies that are exploding in the industry by attending trade shows and studying available literature;
• Develop promotional and advertising campaigns for TLSN products.
• Negotiate and implement purchasing agreements with vendors to allow TLSN members to enjoy volume discounts on commodities such as long distance minutes, equipment, Internet access etc.;
• Establish and monitor processes to insure purchasing agreements are adhered to and members enjoy discounts negotiated.
• Assist Board Officers in conducting monthly board meetings;
• Assist Board Officers in conducting annual membership meetings;
• Plan and complete special projects as assigned by the Board.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of telecommunications company operations, technology and equipment;
• Experience in formulating policy as well as developing and implementing new strategies and procedures in a team environment;
• Skill in oral/written communication, presentations, and public speaking;
• Skill in reading and understanding financial reports, industry regulations, and proposed legislation;
• Ability to communicate effectively with TLSN members, employees, legislators, regulators, and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
Bachelor’s degree in a business field or discipline (Master’s degree is a plus) or equivalent, plus at least ten (10) years of experience in telecommunications management, preferably at the senior management level.
Personal Attributes Required:
Must have a long-term perspective on evolution of the telecommunications industry, emerging technologies, and potential services, etc. Must be able to develop and maintain effective relationships on local, state, regional, and national level. Must be knowledgeable of management principles and personnel management practices. Must have a high-level understanding of how the technology relates to delivering the products and services offered by TLSN. Must be able to think creatively regarding solutions to problems and planning for growth. Must have the ability to use logical reasoning principles to arrive at solutions to work-related problems for which an established procedure may not exist. Sets a leadership example to staff regarding positive public relations and personal work habits.